When it comes to computer viruses, one thing is for sure: they are not something you want on your computer. These self-replicating programs are designed to infect vulnerable computer systems, often damaging the device or stealing data. They can spread through emails, text messages, internet downloads, or even links on social media. When browsing the internet, it’s a good idea to know how to spot the signs of a virus and take protective measures to prevent your device from being the victim of one.
How do Computer Viruses Work?
In order for a computer virus to be effective, it first has to attach itself to a file, document, or program. It is then executed when the user runs the affected program. After a virus affects one computer, it can begin to affect other computers or devices on the same network. Usually, users are not aware that the virus is there, so they unknowingly share and install them, feeding right into the goal of the virus. The sooner you’re aware of the virus on your device, the quicker you can stop it and prevent further damage from occurring to your device.
Signs of a Computer Virus
- Slow performance: Unusually slow performance and processing time can be a sign your computer has a virus.
- Pop-up windows: Pop-up windows that frequently appear and lead to unusual websites are a significant sign of a virus.
- Computer crashing: If your computer is beginning to experience frequent crashes it might be the result of hard drive damage inflicted by a virus.
- Unknown sites and programs: One of the most obvious signs of a virus on your computer are unknown sites or programs popping up when you start your device.
- Additional Signs: Some additional signs that may indicate a virus include lack of storage space, missing files, or hacked email accounts. Looking into the different types of viruses and understanding how they operate can help you be aware of what to look for as well.
Tips to Avoid Computer Viruses
- Install antivirus software: Installing reputable security software to your device is one of the most effective ways to ensure your device is protected. Make sure your program is up to date and can protect your device against the newer types of viruses.
- Backup your computer: Although this tip won’t save your computer from getting a virus, it can help with the repercussions. When you regularly backup your computer, your important files will be saved and not at risk to any virus.
- Be careful with attachments: Make sure to scan and inspect attachments before opening them, especially if they are from an unknown source. It’s best to only click on attachments that are shared to you if you know and trust the source. The same goes for unusual advertisements or pop-up windows.
- Additional measures: Additional measures you can take to protect your device include using strong passwords, keeping programs up to date, or installing a pop-up blocker.
Computer viruses have the potential to damage your device, harm your software, and even destroy your data. No matter the type of device or network you use, you're vulnerable to computer viruses. But, just like any other virus, there are ways you can protect yourself from getting them. It is so important to take preventative measures to ensure your device and everything on it remains as safe as possible.
At BourgTech, we are dedicated to taking the hassle out of technology and creating the best experience for you. We provide antivirus security software installation services to keep your devices safe as well as virus removal and data recovery services if a virus does infect your device. Contact us today so we can talk with you and learn more about your technological needs.